Friday, February 3, 2012

VALENTINES DAY HEART SHAPE COOKIE CUTOUTS







































I’m going to reveal a secret today that some might say is a major character flaw… Perhaps you could also say, “You can never trust a skinny cook who doesn’t like chocolate.” but quite frankly…….  I’m not a big fan.   I know I know it’s truly shocking but it’s never my first choice of sweet.

Okay so, “What do I like you ask?????”….. I LOVE I LOVE I LOVE SUGAR COOKIES.!!!!.
 I remember when growing in Syracuse Kansan, my best friend’s mother, Naomi Grissom  made the most kick ass sugar cookies IN THE WORLD and we  would be waiting, pacing, salivating… till the last cookie was iced and she  would allow us into the kitchen for some quality “chow down on sugar cookie time.”  I can still taste them… gorgeous & buttery & to this day the best I’ve had “EVER.”   Thank you Charlotte for being my best friend since 3rd Grade and inviting me to your house for some of the best cooking I can plant in what memory I have left.

So it’s a hard act to follow but here is my take on sugar cookies and perfect timing for the crazy and uncommon non chocolate eaters out there who are ready to celebrate VALENTINES DAY.         

VALENTINES DAY HEART SHAPED
COOKIE CUTOUTS
THE COOKIE BATTER
1 ½ Cups Sifted Confectioners Sugar
1 Cup Unsalted Butter, Room Temp
1 Large Egg
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
½ Teaspoon Almond Extract
2 ½ Cups Sifted All Purpose Flour
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1 Teaspoon Cream of Tarter
THE ICING
2 Cups Sifted Confectioners Sugar
½ Teaspoon Almond  Extract
1/3  Cup Milk
Assorted Colors of Food Coloring

MAKING THE COOKIE BATTER
In mixer or food processor, add butter & sugar  blend well.  Add in egg, vanilla & almond extract, beat till light & fluffy.  In medium bowl combined all dry ingredients: Flour, soda & cream of tartar.  Add to batter and blend well.

Divide dough into two balls and powder with flour. Place each ball between parchment paper and roll to flatten about an inch thick. Place on cookie sheet, then cover with foil & refrigerate at least 3 hours or overnight.

Roll dough on lightly floured surface to about 1/8 inch thickness.  With cookie cutter, cut out about 2x2 inch heart shapes, circles and assorted smaller hearts and round shapes.  Place cookies on parchment paper covered cookie sheet and bake @ 375 degrees for about 7-8 minutes.  Be sure to leave adequate space, about an inch between each cookie on the tray, so they don’t spread into each other while baking.   

MAKING THE ICING
Combine sugar, almond extract and milk, blend to the consistency of thin glue.  Pour white icing into separate bowls depending on how many colors you plan to use.  Add food coloring to each and create the colors you like.  I added more of the white icing in one bowl and mixed purple and red in the other.  After using enough of the white I added black food coloring to give the 4th color.  Make sure the bowls are large enough to dip the face of the cookie into it.

DECORATING YOUR COOKIES
To decorate, dip top side of cookie into your icing choice. Remove quickly and let excess drip off. Set on cookie rack.  Use knife to smooth edges if necessary. Let dry before adding small shapes.  Use a small amount of the icing to glue smaller shapes on to the large heart and circles.  You can mix and match and choose your own design.  Let’s do cookies!














































































































































1 comment:

Pinoy Recipes Photoblog said...

Cooki hearts :) Your post is inspirational.Happy Valentines Day. I am gonna make some food and heart shape them to post on my blog too.